Monday, April 27, 2009

End Of An Era

Soon I will have to tell my friends to meet me at another Union Square landmark.

As I walked into the Virgin Megastore for possibly the last time, the bright yellow and red "Everything Must Go" signs greeted me with a sad and sick feeling.

To combat this, I then indulged, and spent hours sifting through the racks of music - cherishing the Leonard Cohen- and Bob Dylan-dedicated sections, finding music for our 8898 playlist, and listening to new tunes playing in the overhead speakers. 

I finally snapped out of my bubble and looked around. Despite the supposed 'good deal'/liquidation posters, the feeling in the store was strangely calm. It wasn't Christmas in April. Shoppers weren't charging around and grabbing albums and DVDs... Instead they were taking the time to sift, sort and collect. To remember old albums they had heard while growing up, while falling in love, while dancing. 

And I was doing the same thing. A Tribe Called Quest, Bat For Lashes, The Whip, Glasvegas, De La Soul. 

The store closes at the end of May, so if you can, drop by. You won't regret it.




No comments:

Post a Comment